Meals this month have been almost entirely from the farm. I'm not sure there is any greater satisfaction for us than to eat a meal that we raised.
The summer season has some distinct parts, one of them being when the tomatoes are ripe. We aren't there just yet, so much of what we've been eating has been green. I've also been trying to get zucchini into meals, since this was our first harvest of baseball bat-sized zukes:
Here's a rundown of some recent dinners:
- Green beans, potatoes, cucumbers and tomatoes (from a friend's garden)
- Green beans, fried zucchini, cucumbers and tomatoes - we chop them and add some olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Popcorn - I think we were too tired to cook
- Fried green tomato sandwiches, coleslaw
- Potluck - we made deviled eggs, "Andy's Mom's Slaw" with our cabbage, green beans and brisket. We also ate lots of good food from friends
- Green beans, grilled potatoes, steak - This has been my favorite meal recently, the steak was amazing.
- Stuffed zucchini ("Zuccanoes"), sweet corn, "Andy's Mom's Slaw" with our cabbage
If any of that sounds good to you, then get yourself to a farmer's market. Fresh produce makes the summer delicious!